Pages

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Life Story Continues

Well growing up with your Dad in the Pentagon is interesting, especially when he has these poster charts in the basement, making up new briefings for Navy public relations. In August of 1957 our family flew into Washington, D.C. I was eight years old. We stayed in a short term apartment for a few days until we found a house in Arlington, Virginia. I am not sure how many people around the country feel about Washington, D.C., however for me it feels like my home town, since I lived in the area for two years. Walking through the Pentagon is an experience, but it was all so normal at that young age.

There was the father-son experience. We started learning to shoot at various places. My brother was six years older, and I was only eight. My father was the military man, a Commander in the Navy, an Aviator. He was the favorite flyer for Admiral Halsey, until he transferred to cover New York for submarine warfare. He was most proud of a perfect record, no ships lost on his watch.

We had a 22 rifle, and took to targets. Everyone was a member of the NRA, and at some times we went to a Marine base to continue our exercises. I think I was pretty good for a kid, but we learned safety and respect for what we were doing first. Maybe this is why I think it is entirely alien, what is happening in Congress regarding the 2nd amendment. If we prize a national defense, and the citizen soldier, people should prepare, not license themselves to unwarranted phobias and heavy controls. It is about safeguarding human rights, when everyone in effect is in the militia. Curiously I have had no need to go target shooting since those two years in Washington, D.C.

Maybe it was Sputnik that impressed me the most, and collecting "Space Cards." Superman was the favorite comic book, while also reading magazines such as "Time," which taught me to read three or four grades above level.

I have a bone of contention these days for those who disparage "Dodge Ball." I was a husky kid, my mom used to say, and the other kids just pelted me and I was out. One day I am not sure if I just "got good," or what it was, but I won! I liked the game, and I think those heavy handed psychologists, or politically correct zombies are flat out wrong to restrict this game.

I cannot omit to mention the piano lessons, but I was already into boogie woogie piano, playing duets with my now deceased sister with such gems as "Heart and Soul." At the end of those lessons my recital played "Yankee Doodle." I just like the song very much, but it was too simple for others. One day my mom bought be a copy of "Bird Dog," by the Everly Brothers, and I just played it over and over again in the basement. I like that song a great deal. Later I found rock music in a new way, but we will get to that soon enough.

Your commentary is welcome as we move forward!

No comments: