Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2005

More Autobiography - Daddy Let Me Drive

My dad was born in California but he was raised by his grandparents in Texas. He excelled in school, and that is why he entered the United States Navy as an Aviator.

After the experience of growing up near Washington, DC, we had a long drive in our 1958 Plymouth Station Wagon cross country. Remember those cars with their push button drive transmission, and tail fins?

Well we got to Big Springs, Texas. Now my dad used to tell me stories about how he drove a Model T beginning when he was eight years old, in order to transport he and his older sister to school. Well I called him on it at the age of 10! I wish we could have moved the seat up a bit, but I stretched to reach the gas pedal. We were on private property of course. It was a nice 10 minute drive.

Watching country and western late night, I had to remember, as the song rang true.

Catch the link: Daddy

No comments: